Sunday, September 10, 2006

Rhythms

Change is hard. I have rhythms in my life. I figure out how to do something and find a place for that thing in the pattern of my life. When things change, I have to go back and reestablish all the rhythms. That takes a while and somehow seems to be a monumental waste of time: unavoidable but unpleasant. I am changing jobs and that drives a whole bunch of changes in my life: preparing to setup a new a new laptop, commuting locally rather than getting on a plane, selecting a new set of benefits, and on and on. To add to the confusion, my wife has also taken a new job recently: a better job but still a new job with different patterns.

One thing that I have to do is figure out where the time to write this blog fits in. One of the things that I am going to try is to dictate the rough drafts while I commute. I live a ways out from everything: lovely place to live but 30 or more minutes from all of the interesting places to be. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 9 for a lot of my writing. I dictate into a headset microphone and the words just appear. It is not 100% but the speed of getting the rough material into place is great. One of the options that Naturally Speaking provides is the ability to transcribe material from a digital recorder. I just bought a WS100 digital recorder from Olympus and created a user that captures the peculiarities of my voice recorded on the digital recorder through the headset microphone. It may take a few weeks to work out the kinks but that is what life is for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home